Thursday 4 November 2010

SlothMUD-themed GUI

After chatting with Splork, I decided to have a go at creating a SlothMUD-themed GUI, to see how easily the plugin could be adapted.  It took around 2-3 hours in total (although I was watching TV and chatting online at the same time) - most of it was done in about half an hour, with the rest of the time spent tweaking the layout, troubleshooting a couple of problems carried over from my plugin, playing around with colours, and removing a load of unused code.

The graphics are from the SlothMUD website, giving the GUI a similar theme, with the layout designed to be similar to their flash client.  For comparison purposes, the SlothMUD website is available here: http://www.slothmud.org/


(click image to enlarge)

In practice I think a smaller title would work better, but this was just a quick experiment, and I didn't want to spend too much time on it.  Many muds already have a graphical title, a background texture and borders on their website, and my intent was just to see how easily such images could be used to create a themed GUI.

The map would need to be done differently (because of the room-based thing), but I have some ideas for that, which I may implement if there's interest (it'd be great for a generic plugin, as most muds are room-based).

No comments:

Post a Comment